Damaged pump causes water

first_imgA damaged pump in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara) has been identified as the root cause of the water woes facing residents in sections of the region.Guyana Times was contacted with numerous reports from residents seeking an intervention into their current plight of not being able to access water from their water supply system.According to residents, the problem has been a recurring one, which has been affecting them for over a month now.Numerous calls were made by this publication to the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) to determine where the issue was stemming from, whether the company was aware of the concerns being raised, and if so, was it being addressed. This publication was unable to speak with anyone who could address the concerns raised.However, after an investigation was conducted by Guyana Times, it was unearthed that the main pump located at the Meten-Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara (WCD) Pump Station, was broken.When this publication visited the location on Tuesday, it was noticed that the pump was indeed broken, causing water to pour out, flooding the inside of the station.When this newspaper spoke to one of the workers there, it was highlighted that the broken pump is taking in sand and as such, the lines are being clogged causing the water not to flow to the main pipes.The worker further relayed that currently, GWI is seeking to have the pump fixed to ease the burden on the affected residents but noted that the pump needs to be replaced.“This pump that you see here, has been here for a number of years, so even though we are trying to fix it right now, it will only work for a short time”.The worker could not specify when the problem would be rectified.The Regional Chairman when contacted by this newspaper said that he was not aware of the GWI’s pump being broken but expressed hope that the problem would be dealt with promptly.He noted that he was contacted by “thousands” of residents and was very unhappy with the issue of the residents having to struggle to acquire water for daily use.Up to press time, GWI could not be contacted for further comments.last_img read more

Conoco-Phillips “made mistakes” with rig fire

first_imgPhoto:  This photo was taken on November 11th, 2008 – SubmittedA vice-president with Conoco-Phillips has acknowledged that mistakes were made, when a natural gas well was enveloped by flames last November.- Advertisement -You may remember, on November 11th, a fire broke out at the well, about 45 kilometres west of Dawson Creek, and continued to burn for 13 days.At the time, Area residents reported the fire as being visible from the highway for days, and some had concerns about movement of fire-borne toxins through the food chain.At a community meeting earlier this week, Conoco-Phillips officials gave about 30 residents a little more information on the fire, and admitted the company’s reaction was too slow. The Canadian Press quotes Conoco-Phillips vice president of well engineering and operations, Erick Reyna, as saying the fire was caused by equipment within the drill overheating. Advertisement The rig was destroyed by the fire, though no-one was hurt, and Toxicologist Don Davies says while more than 200 chemical compounds were released into the atmosphere from the blaze, an equal number of compounds could be released from a campfire.  Davies says he doesn’t expect cattle and game in the area to suffer any long-term effects, or be unsafe to eat, though the final report isn’t due out until later in May.Conoco-Phillips laid-off a manager and supervisor after the fire, and is conceding rig assessments and personel certification may need to happen more frequently.last_img read more

Huntington restoration nearly done

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ“The building had got pretty overgrown, and the planning blight of knowing there was going to be a major project led to a slowdown of maintenance,” he said. “For the public it looked like a decaying mansion being absorbed into the landscape.” Paint was “starting to come off in large scales, and it really looked like something in major need of repair,” Murdoch said, although the underlying condition was good. The mansion’s original 1910 masonry surface has been restored. “When and why it was painted is one of the mysteries,” Murdoch said. “Related to that, the woodwork on the window frames is actually made of beautiful South American mahogany that was also painted over.” He and the contractor “felt pretty passionately” the woodwork should not be repainted, Murdoch said, but it was finally decided to stick with the original choice of French Gray approved by Huntington and architect Myron Hunt. There’s always a sense of Huntington looking over one’s shoulder when changes are being made, Murdoch said. “Also Arabella,” he said, referring to Huntington’s formidable wife. “Arabella had very strong French taste, and the north side of the house is a classic French country house arrangement. … It’s Italian on the south side and French on the north.” Arabella had long conversations with her designer in New York well before she and Henry “were an `item,’ at least in public,” Murdoch said. And, as a “powerful Francophile,” she might have influenced the choice of French Gray for the windows among others. New shade awnings – shown in a watercolor of the original vision for the house but never installed – will literally put the rooms in a new light, Murdoch said. They replace heavy screens and “suburban lace curtains” and will make the rooms brighter and let visitors see the view from the windows, he said. The house rendering showed white awnings, Murdoch said, but they decided on “a nice kind of jolly stripey effect.” Earlier suggestions of bleached linen were “ghastly good taste,” he joked. Striped awnings “make it a happy house, en fete,” he said, and were always intended to be there. Sam Watters, who has written extensively about the history of the Huntington mansion, said “significant changes” have been made to the house since Henry Huntington died in 1927. “What we see, he never imagined in his lifetime,” said Watters, author of “Houses of Los Angeles, 1885-1935,” who toured the renovation earlier this year. “I’m looking forward to seeing it, and I’m very interested to see the sophisticated choices people made,” he said. Charles B. Thornton Jr. of San Marino, who with his wife, Geneva, contributed $10 million to the project, said his engineering background made him sensitive to the needs of the mansion and the crumbling infrastructure of the adjoining 73-year-old gallery building. “There were earthquake issues, plumbing issues, roof damage, flooding in the basement, electrical issues,” Thornton said. When the gallery was built, construction was “budget-driven,” Thornton said, and it never matched the quality of the mansion. “It’s a big space, a really simple 1930s design, we wanted to take and integrate into the rest of the house,” he said. “You leave this `gee whiz’ space and walk into this big room – and now it’s a `gee whiz’ space. The space isn’t more important than the art, but with these valuable and historic paintings you want the gallery they’re exhibited in to be up to the quality of the art, and I think we’ve done that.” Visitors to the renovated mansion’s ground floor will see more of a series of “designed rooms in this very grand characteristic gilded-age style,” Murdoch said. “French furniture, Oriental carpets and 18thcentury English portraits – the `Rothschild’ taste picked up by the great American millionaires for their great houses in Rhode Island and upstate New York … imported from the Beaux Arts School of Europe,” he said Not all the furniture now in place is as used by the Huntingtons, Murdoch said. “When Henry died his collection was not in the condition the Huntington Collection is now. It was very much smaller,” Murdoch said. The “practical, and frankly not very good, dining table” was replaced by an 18thcentury English mahogany table and some “Chippendale-ish” chairs, he said. “It’s meant to evoke what a client, such as Huntington, working with a great dealer and interior designer, without a budget, would have been able to put together,” he said of the redesign. Murdoch promises some big surprises in the restored 2,900-square-foot gallery. “But I don’t want to give away too many trade secrets,” he joked. All the works formerly in the Huntington Art Gallery will be reinstalled and merged with the Arabella D. Huntington Memorial Collection of Renaissance and French 18thcentury painting and sculptures. There will be 22 single-room galleries in the mansion’s upstairs, giving the feel of a modern museum, Huntington officials said. With all the work going on at the Huntington – including a Chinese Garden opening in February – the institution is “way beyond the reach of Henry Hungtington’s own imagination,” Murdoch said. “But I think he and Arabella would have enjoyed it.” janette.williams@sgvn.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4482 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN MARINO – To Henry Huntington, his gilded-age, art-filled Beaux-Arts mansion and 500-acre estate was always “the ranch.” Now the ranch house is coming to the end of a two-year, $20 million makeover, highlighting it more as a family home and showing the grand domestic style the Huntingtons lived in. The mansion, built between 1909 and 1911, will re-open to the public May 28 when the reinstallation of the fabled European art collection – including “Blue Boy” and “Pinkie” – is completed in the adjoining renovated 1934 portrait gallery. “What you can see already, the most important thing, really, is what we’ve done to the outside,” said John Murdoch, The Huntington’s director of art collections. last_img

Parents for Choice coffee morning to take place in Letterkenny tomorrow

first_imgAcross Ireland this week, Parents for Choice are holding coffee mornings to discuss choice when it comes to pregnancy.Parents for Choice have organised a coffee morning at An Grianán Theatre in Letterkenny between 10am and 11am, where pro-choice parents are encouraged to discuss the eighth amendment.Parents for Choice was established to discuss issues around choice in pregnancy, without the stigma that exists around parents having pro-choice views. A spokesperson for the group says, “People should become parents by choice, and not because they have no other option. We exist to campaign for the repeal of the 8th amendment to the Irish Constitution, which limits choices and bodily autonomy in pregnancy and childbirth, as well as criminalising abortion. We campaign for the availability of free, safe and legal abortion in the Irish maternity care system, in line with all other health care during pregnancy, and for the recognition of a pregnant and birthing person’s immutable right to bodily autonomy and exercise of choice in all situations. We believe a person should be able to birth in the manner and location of their choosing.“We do not want our children to need to take to the streets to protest for their human rights and bodily autonomy, like we do, and our parents before us. We do not want our daughters’ lives to be put at risk when they themselves are pregnant or giving birth. This needs to stop now.”Parents for Choice coffee morning to take place in Letterkenny tomorrow was last modified: May 21st, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:coffee morningparents for choicelast_img read more

TRIONA MCMENAMIN AWARDED THE IRISH WATER SAFETY SPORTS PERSON OF THE YEAR

first_imgLetterkenny 24/7 club member Triona McMenamin, was awarded the Irish Water Safety Sports Person of the Year.This award ceremony is held annually in Dublin Castle to celebrate and commend all those involved in Irish Water Safety.Letterkenny native, Triona has been involved in Irish Water Safety for 15 years when she first competed. She has captained the Donegal Ladies Beach Lifesaving Team to a National title for 8 years. On the international stage, this year alone saw her coming home with 8 World Masters Medals from the World Lifesaving Championships in France.Not just content with competing, she has coached and managed the national and international teams, both seniors and juniors.This award not only recognised Triona as a world class competitor but also for the work she has done in promoting, organising and developing water safety over the last 5 years with the Sports CommissionTriona joined the 24/7 in 2013 and completed and won the clubs Try a Tri. In her first Sprint Triathlon in July she acquitted herself well. She has become a well know member of the club and we would all like to express our congratulations on this great accolade. TRIONA MCMENAMIN AWARDED THE IRISH WATER SAFETY SPORTS PERSON OF THE YEAR was last modified: November 25th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:athleticsirishletterkenny 24/7NoticesSportWater Safetylast_img read more

‘Celtic fans must realise it’s impossible for Hoops to make big money signings’

first_img 2 Getty 2 Edouard became Celtic’s most expensive player ever when his loan deal was made permanent A club-record fee was paid to bring Edouard back to Glasgow from Paris Saint-Germain, with various reports claiming the deal could be worth £10million in total.Celtic fans want their club to splash some of the revenue made from appearing in the Champions League over the last two seasons on new players, while there have been suggestions of a bust up between Rodgers and Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive. Rangers team up with hummel UK to launch eco-friendly ZEROH2O kit dom’s the man A FIGHTER Defoe feels blessed at ‘amazing’ Rangers, reveals Gazza conversation WAT ABOUT THAT true love Edinburgh derby: Three men charged following fan trouble during fiery clash scrap Most read in Scottish football NO PLACE center_img Karamoko Dembele ‘chooses’ who he will play for internationally Every one of Celtic’s fixtures for the new season in full LANGUAGE BARRIER Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos Liverpool starlet set to join Rangers and replace flop summer signing Former Rangers star Kris Boyd has claimed it is impossible for Celtic to make big money signings, because the Hoops can’t afford to pay the wages demanded by ‘that type of player’.Brendan Rodgers, the Celtic manager, is said to be frustrated by his side’s transfer dealings this summer, with Scott Bain and Odsonne Edouard the only players brought to Parkhead – and they both spent time on loan with the Bhoys last season. Boyd spent two spells playing for Celtic’s Old Firm rivals Rangers decision KICK-OFF Rodgers himself has admitted transfer expectations should be tempered because Celtic are not a ‘Premier League club down south’, and that they are forced to shop in a totally different market to even the smallest teams in England’s top flight.And Boyd, the former Rangers striker, believes he knows why that is – finances.“There have been a few rumblings of him [Rodgers] not being able to get players in,” Boyd told Jim White on talkSPORT.“They sold Stuart Armstrong to Southampton… they lost Patrick Roberts and Charly Musonda.“Yes, Rodgers has brought in Odsonne Edouard, but there needs to be a realisation from Celtic fans that, yes, they might have money in the bank, but you can’t go and spend £9- £10-£12million on players because you know what that brings.“You then have to pay the wages for that type of player. “It’s impossible for Celtic to do that.“I think Brendan likes a challenge to improve players, and he’s definitely done that with a few of the youngsters he’s brought in at the back.” McCoist tells funny Rangers story about Gazza and new Napoli boss Gattuso Listen to Ally McCoist’s heartfelt tribute to late Rangers icon Fernando Ricksen last_img read more

Local Roundup: American Legion Area One tournament begins in Arcata Wednesday

first_imgArcata >> The city of Arcata will host the 17-and-under American Legion Area One Tournament beginning Wednesday and running through to Sunday’s championship game.Two local teams, the Humboldt Knights and Northern Humboldt Giants, will tussle with teams representing Chico, Napa, Davis, Oroville, Auburn and either Redding or Shasta in the eight-team, double-elimination tournament. The Giants defeated the Knights 10-0 to win the district championship on Saturday at Redwood Fields in Eureka.Games …last_img

Warriors fans share memories of Oracle Arena at the venue’s last regular-season game

first_imgClick here if you are unable to view this gallery of video on a mobile device.The next time the Golden State Warriors play a regular season game will be in San Francisco.After 47 years, the team said its regular season goodbye to Oracle Arena on Sunday. The venue where Stephen Curry and company will drain threes might change but the memories of their Oakland home won’t soon be forgotten by fans. On a warm Sunday, fans were able to enjoy a 131-104 win over the Los Angeles Clippers and remember …last_img

San Jose Sharks post-game video: Pete DeBoer credits fast start and defense for win in Game 1 of NHL Playoffs

first_imgSan Jose Sharks coach Pete DeBoer said a fast start and solid defense helped propel the team to a 5-2 win over the Vegas Golden Knights in Game 1 of their first-round series in the NHL playoffs.The Sharks struck first in initial period with Joe Pavelski knocking in a goal after it bounced off his face. The team scored three goals in the second period before capping it off with a final goal in the third. Vegas trailed throughout as Mark Stone had its two scores.The Sharks defense limited …last_img

Report: San Francisco Giants, Alex Dickerson agree on 2020 contract

first_imgOne of the primary catalysts behind the San Francisco Giants’ incredible July hot streak will return to the club next season.Outfielder Alex Dickerson signed a one-year, $925,000 contract with the Giants for next season as the two sides avoided arbitration. The deal was first reported by Ken Rosenthal.The Giants have until 5 p.m. PT on Monday to decide whether to tender contracts to their other arbitration-eligible players, including center fielder Kevin Pillar.There was little doubt the …last_img