In Endicott, The Grinch made an appearance ringing the Salvation Army bell outside the Weis Market on Day Hollow Road. “This has been unbelievable everybody giving tonight I heard the Salvation Army is having trouble raising money but they’re raising money here,” The Grinch said. “We had single digit temperatures last night so if anyone was going to be in need and have hardship it’s going to be this time of year in the northeast,” Schultz said. Multiple visitors stopped by to visit Schultz during the 24 hours he was outside the Vestal Walmart including Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo, State Senator Fred Akshar and Santa Claus. Schultz tells 12 News that the success of a similar event in Rome, NY last year inspired him to bring the challenge to the Vestal Walmart. VESTAL (WBNG) — 12 News caught up with Chet Schultz who wrapped up his 24 hour kettle challenge for the Salvation Army Saturday afternoon. The Grinch tells 12 News that he was on his way to a children’s birthday party followed by a church fundraiser but he heard The Salvation Army was in need of volunteers and he decided to stop by. The Grinch tells 12 News that there was no shortage of generosity during his time ringing the bell. With cold temperatures throughout the challenge, Schultz tells 12 News that the weather reminded him why it’s an important time of year to raise money for people who are less fortunate. The Grinch also tells 12 News that he hopes that the closer we get to Christmas the more generous people will be with their donations.
This means rent is not subject to the restrictions of affordable housing. “This fills the category of market rate housing with a generic proposed rent ranging between $850 to about $1,350,” said Mayor David. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Binghamton Mayor Richard David announced a $20 Million 115 unit market rate housing project at 191 Front Street. The proposed project will include multiple new structures and is the latest in a series of projects intended to revitalize the Front Street corridor. The project is hoping to address what the city describes as a lack of market rate housing in the area. Officials say market rate housing is needed to continue attracting professionals to the area. “We knew that in order to continue to build on the economic momentum we’ve been seeing in Broome County we needed to address the lack of housing,” Duncan said. “We did not have a strong portfolio of market rate housing in Broome County to retain and attract professionals.” The developer of the project is Walison Corp of Mount Vernon, New York. “This is a great gateway to Downtown, the first ward and the West side so we think that’s the perfect location for a project like this,” said Stacey Duncan, Executive Director of The Agency. “This involves the construction of two new buildings with parking, with green space and recreational areas,” said Mayor David.
For more coverage of the coronavirus, click here. “Effective immediately, I am closing the State Senate’s New York City office at 250 Broadway. I am also advising all Senators’ District Offices to close, and for all Senators’ District Office staff and all non-essential State Senate central staff, to work remotely. The Senate will return to the Capitol tomorrow for scheduled Session. Plans are being developed for a future schedule and safety protocols while working towards an expedited State Budget.” (WBNG) — Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins released the following statement on Sunday:
The crews that responded include Endwell, West Endicott, Vestal, and West Corners Fire Departments as well as Broome County Emergency services and NYSEG. They also say that everyone got out safely and there were no injuries. According to the West Corners fire department, they say the fire took 10 minutes to put out. To donate to the GoFund Me page, you can click here. The page also says that the homeowners are the Rusnak’s which are the owners of the Brody’s pizza place in Union Center. According to the GoFund Me page, it says that the fire was started by an electrical box in the garage and caused severe damage to the home. It is unclear at this time whether or not anyone is injured or what started the fire. They were planning on reopening this week, but after the fire, they are no longer able to do that. A 12 News crew is on the way to the scene. ——————————————————————————————————————– ——————————————————————————————————————– It’s happening at 1456 Sandra Drive in the village. ENDICOTT (WBNG) – A GoFund Me page has now been set up to help a family recover after a fire destroyed their home Monday night. ENDICOTT (WBNG)- Emergency crews are responding to a house fire in Endicott. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. ENDICOTT (WBNG) 12:55 a.m. UPDATE: A 12 News crew on the scene says the house is severely damaged as well as the garage. It says that up until a few weeks ago, the family was providing meals to the community during the pandemic, but because of health issues they had to close the restaurant for a few weeks. Stay with 12 News for further updates.