MUMBAI, India (CMC):West Indies Women stormed into their first ever final of a Twenty20 World Cup when they outplayed New Zealand Women by six runs in the second semi-final of the 2016 edition at the Wankhede Stadium yesterday.Having previously gone out at the semi-final stage of the last three T20 World Cups, the Caribbean girls made no mistake this time around, rattling up a challenging 143 for six off their 20 overs and then bowling well to restrict the Kiwis to 137 for eight.Sent in, West Indies Women were propelled by a top score of 61 from Britney Cooper, who fashioned her maiden half-century in T20s.She faced 48 balls and counted five fours and two sixes and put on 60 for the second wicket with captain Stafanie Taylor, who scored 25. Cooper added another 44 for the third wicket, with Deandra Dottin, who got 20.Seamer Sophie Devine was the best bowler, producing a career-best performance of four for 22 from her four overs.In reply, New Zealand Women were undermined by Taylor, who claimed three for 26 with her incisive off-spin, while leg-spinner Afy Fletcher proved economical, conceding just 20 runs from her four overs and taking one wicket.ALL-ROUND PERFORMANCESara McGlashan top-scored with 38 from 30 deliveries, Amy Satterthwaite struck 24 from 29 balls, while Devine chipped in with a cameo 22 from 14 balls, to complete a solid all-round performance.New Zealand Women were threatening victory at 108 for three in the 17th over with McGlashan and Satterthwaite involved in a 59-run fourth run stand.However, Taylor removed both in successive deliveries to deal the Kiwis a fatal blow and hurt their momentum as five wickets tumbled for 29 runs.The victory set up a meeting with nemesis Australia in Sunday’s final, following the reigning champions’ five-run win over England Women in Wednesday’s first semi-final.
2 Chambers spent the 2016/7 season on loan at Boro Calum Chambers has signed a new Arsenal contract, the club have confirmed.The 23-year-old joined the club from Southampton in 2014, with the Gunners paying £16million for him.“I’m delighted Calum has extended his stay with us. He played an important role last season and will be part of my plans this season,” new manager Unai Emery said.“He played an important role last season and will be part of my plans this season,” he added.In a statement released on their website, Arsenal wrote: “We would like to congratulate Calum on his new contract and look forward to his continued contribution to the club.”Chambers has played 83 times for the club and also spent the 2016/17 season on loan at Middlesbrough where he played 24 times and scored once. Under Emery, who replaced Wenger at the end of the season, Arsenal have signed three players, with the latest being Sokratis Papastathopoulos.Writing on Twitter, Chambers said: “Delighted to have signed a new deal at Arsenal! I want to give my very best to this great club. Thanks to the new manger for showing faith in me and I’m looking forward to the big season ahead! I promise to repay the fans back for the support they’ve given me! #COYG” Delighted to have signed a new deal at @arsenal! I want to give my very best to this great club. Thanks to the new manger for showing faith in me and I’m looking forward to the big season ahead! I promise to repay the fans back for the support they’ve given me! #COYG 🔴🔴🔴 pic.twitter.com/WxRfjNNUGM— Calum Chambers (@CalumChambers95) July 3, 2018 2 He returned to the club when Boro were relegated from the Premier League and at one stage it looked like he may be sold, with Crystal Palace said to be keen on the centre-back.However, he remained at Arsenal and played 20 times in all competitions last season in what was Arsene Wenger’s final season in charge of the club. Chambers played 20 times for Arsenal last season
As Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan prepares to table the country’s annual Budget in Parliament tomorrow, 22 February, ordinary citizens have been asked to share their ideas on how South Africa’s finances should be managed.Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan speaks to members of the press during the Medium Term Budget Policy Statement in Cape Town on 26 October 2016. (Photo: South African government, CC BY-ND 2.0, via Flickr)Brand South Africa reporterFinance Minister Pravin Gordhan will deliver his seventh budget speech on Wednesday, 22 February at 14:00.The numbers he delivers will impact every citizen, so ordinary South Africans have been asked to share their ideas and tips on the Treasury website.The minister is looking for the people’s views on a range of topics:How to achieve inclusive economic growth in South Africa,How can South Africa make better use of its resources,How different sectors of society can work as one to achieve the country’s economic goals, and;How to achieve free tertiary education.The speech will be broadcast live on DSTV Channel 408, and streamed on Parliament’s YouTube channel.Here’s an overview of last year’s budget:Last year’s Budget Highlights, #Budget2017 preparations underway pic.twitter.com/cqOeTxUinI— #BUDGET2017 (@TreasuryRSA) February 20, 2017Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
Some wind farms will get legal protection for killing and injuring eagles for as long as 30 years under new rules announced by the government on December 6, according to the Associated Press.In an article published Dec. 6, the AP said the new policy was adopted by the Obama administration under pressure from the wind-power industry.Wind farms would have to take additional steps if they kill or injure more eagles than they originally estimate, or if it later becomes apparent that injuries or deaths were affecting eagle populations, the AP said. Permits would be reviewed every five years, and the wind companies will be required to report the number of eagle fatalities. Currently, that reporting is voluntary and the Interior Department won’t release the reports.“This is not a program to kill eagles,” John Anderson, the director of siting policy at the American Wind Energy Association, told the AP. “This permit program is about conservation.”But David Yarnold, the president of the Audubon Society, called the Interior Department’s new policy a “blank check” for the wind industry, and said his group would challenge the decision.In November, Duke Energy Renewables was fined $1 million in connection with the deaths of eagles and other birds at two Wyoming wind farms, marking the first time that a wind energy company had been prosecuted under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.Earlier, a study by biologists found that wind farms have been responsible for the deaths of at least 67 bald and golden eagles. Wind turbines also have been blamed for the deaths of more than 600,000 bats.
A White House budget plan for fiscal 2019 would shrink spending for the Department of Energy’s renewable energy and energy efficiency programs by more than 70%, The Washington Post reports.The proposal, if approved intact by Congress, could mean sharp reductions in work at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colorado, an important hub of renewable energy development that ultimately benefits U.S. homeowners. Most of NREL’s budget of $293 million a year comes from the DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, where spending would drop from $2.04 billion in the current year to $575.5 million.The Post based its report on draft budget documents and said they reflect the administration’s ongoing efforts to shore up fossil fuels, including what the president has called “clean beautiful coal.” The White House unsuccessfully asked for similar budget cuts last year and didn’t get them, and Congress probably won’t go along with the latest requests, either.But the president’s budget proposal, due out this month, will represent his opening gambit in talks with Congress and is an affirmation of White House policy and intent, The Post said. RELATED ARTICLES Energy and Building Programs Brace for Trump BudgetGreen Building in the Trump Era The fate of the lab is an especially big deal in Colorado. The Daily Camera reported that NREL now employs 1,700 people. Had all of last year’s proposed budget cuts to energy programs been implemented, Colorado could have lost 2,830 research and science jobs and $1.5 billion in economic activity, according to Third Way, a Washington, D.C., based think tank.Heather Lammers, a spokeswoman, said the lab wouldn’t “speculate on rumors prior to the release of the official budget.”Energy Department spokeswoman Shaylyn Hynes said the administration believes there is a role for all fuels in the country’s energy mix, including renewables. Hynes said the department had awarded “hundreds of millions of dollars to solar and wind energy.”NREL is but one of a number of programs that could see crippling losses of federal support. The Post said that the draft document seeks an end to the weatherization program and state energy grants. It would reduce spending on research for fuel-efficient vehicles by 82% and cut spending on solar technology by 78%. Money for efficient building technologies and research into geothermal, hydro, and wind also would be cut, the newspaper said.
Days after the Supreme Court allowed the construction of a temple on the site where the Babri Masjid once stood, Ayodhya has managed to stay calm. Quietly the Saryu flows alongside. But the crowds keep coming, under the watchful gaze of 4,000 paramilitary personnel and U.P. police who have been carefully deployed in the State. On platform No. 1, devotees are pouring out of a train. They have come for a glimpse of the site that they believe is the birthplace of Ram. To reach the site, you have to take a battery-powered e-rickshaw for the last mile. This ensures that no heavy vehicles venture too close, unless they have special passes issued by the local administration. It prevents large congregations gathering here. Barely a kilometre away, at Karsevakpuram, stands a model of the future temple. Behind this is the Nyas workshop where over two lakh bricks (shila) inscribed with the words ‘Shri Ram’ in various languages have been collected over three decades. People throng to take photographs. To beautify the Saryu riverside, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has some tall plans, such as creating an island with a 151 metre high Ram statue that will be placed on a 50 metre high pedestal under a 20 metre wide umbrella. There will also be an amphitheatre and several ghats.The floors of the famous Valmiki Ramayan Bhawan are stacked with bundles of notebooks that have ‘Ram’ written in them in various languages. There is an air of quiet anticipation. “I am extremely happy,” says Rukmani, a schoolteacher. “This will bring development to the temple town.” (Text and images by V.V. Krishnan)
The Miz and Maryse returned to SmackDown LIVE with their new reality show, “Miz & Mrs.”and treated the audience to the premiere with the company of their baby Monroe Sky.The Miz & Maryse rejoiced over their new show, but before the party could reach full force, Daniel Bryan hijacked the proceedings by showing a video of Miz’s career lowlights entitled “Miz and Misses” and then hit the scene and took out the security guards keeping tabs on the event. Bryan then made a beeline for the ring, but he stopped short of attacking The A-Lister because he was holding his sleeping baby.However, in a shocking moment, Miz then tossed the baby at Bryan, who caught it, revealing it to be a doll. The confusion gave Miz the opening to drop his rival with the Skull-Crushing Finale before getting back on the microphone to insult Bryan and still find the time to promote “Miz & Mrs.”Samoa Joe challenges AJ Styles for WWE Championship WWE Champion AJ Styles and SmackDown LIVE General Manager Paige communed in the ring to reveal Styles’ next challenger for SummerSlam. The Phenomenal One spoke on how excited he is for WWE Evolution, the importance of his title reign and how he was ready to write another epic chapter to his story at SummerSlam, regardless of who he faces. From there, Styles signed the contract, ready for whoever would challenge him at The Biggest Event of the Summer.However, before the drumroll could get going and the WWE Universe could find out, James Ellsworth arrived to claim that he was the rightful challenger for the WWE Title at The Biggest Event of the Summer since he had beaten Styles three times. With Paige and Styles greatly perplexed by Ellsworth’s arrival, the SmackDown GM quickly brought a snippy Ellsworth down to earth, informing him that not only would he not be challenging for the championship at SummerSlam, but that, in fact, he was fired.advertisementA shocked Ellsworth was then dragged away by security, and with Styles distracted by the shenanigans, he never saw Samoa Joe enter the ring from behind. The Samoan Submission Machine viciously blindsided The Phenomenal One with a barrage of strikes before locking in the Coquina Clutch, then signing the contract for the title match.Other results: The New Day defeated SAnitY to advance to the finals of the SummerSlam Tag Team Championship TournamentAndrade “Cien” Almas defeated RusevBecky Lynch defeated Carmella to earn SmackDown Women’s Championship Match at SummerSlamAsuka defeated Billie Kay(With inputs from WWE)
zoomImage Courtesy: DSME Apollo Asset Limited, owned by independent investor Arne Fredly, has made a non-binding indicative offer to Norwegian publicly traded investment company Hunter Group ASA for the transfer of ownership in up to seven very large crude carriers (VLCC).Four crude carriers from the batch have been ordered from Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) and the remaining three vessels are optional.Hunter Group said in a regulatory filing that Appolo Asset Limit is prepared to transfer the newbuilding contracts and the options to the company on a back-to-back basis as contracted with the DSME.The quartet, worth USD 330 million in total, is set for delivery in 2019, while the optional vessels, if ordered, would be delivered in 2020.Separately, Apollo Asset Limited today entered into agreements to acquire 17,444,000 shares in Hunter Group, at a price of NOK 2.30 per share. The latest purchase brings Fredly’s share capital in the group to 33.29 pct.DSME has managed to collect 10 VLCC orders so far this year. The shipbuilder’s 19-strong orderbook for this year comprises also eight LNG carriers and one special-purpose vessel, totaling in USD 2.36 billion.