Big first for WI Women

first_imgMUMBAI, India (CMC):West Indies Women stormed into their first ever final of a Twenty20 World Cup when they outplayed New Zealand Women by six runs in the second semi-final of the 2016 edition at the Wankhede Stadium yesterday.Having previously gone out at the semi-final stage of the last three T20 World Cups, the Caribbean girls made no mistake this time around, rattling up a challenging 143 for six off their 20 overs and then bowling well to restrict the Kiwis to 137 for eight.Sent in, West Indies Women were propelled by a top score of 61 from Britney Cooper, who fashioned her maiden half-century in T20s.She faced 48 balls and counted five fours and two sixes and put on 60 for the second wicket with captain Stafanie Taylor, who scored 25. Cooper added another 44 for the third wicket, with Deandra Dottin, who got 20.Seamer Sophie Devine was the best bowler, producing a career-best performance of four for 22 from her four overs.In reply, New Zealand Women were undermined by Taylor, who claimed three for 26 with her incisive off-spin, while leg-spinner Afy Fletcher proved economical, conceding just 20 runs from her four overs and taking one wicket.ALL-ROUND PERFORMANCESara McGlashan top-scored with 38 from 30 deliveries, Amy Satterthwaite struck 24 from 29 balls, while Devine chipped in with a cameo 22 from 14 balls, to complete a solid all-round performance.New Zealand Women were threatening victory at 108 for three in the 17th over with McGlashan and Satterthwaite involved in a 59-run fourth run stand.However, Taylor removed both in successive deliveries to deal the Kiwis a fatal blow and hurt their momentum as five wickets tumbled for 29 runs.The victory set up a meeting with nemesis Australia in Sunday’s final, following the reigning champions’ five-run win over England Women in Wednesday’s first semi-final.last_img read more

Tempers flare in Sharks’ preseason game with Golden Knights

first_imgSunday’s preseason game between the Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights had a regular season feel to it, perhaps even matching a playoff-type atmosphere.Thankfully, at least from the Sharks’ perspective, they can forget about their 5-1 loss at a sold-out T-Mobile Arena and turn their attention to Wednesday’s season opener against these same Golden Knights.It might even be even more intense.The Sharks, dressing a lineup with mainly NHL players, allowed three goals in less than 11 minutes in the …last_img

Public protest over Doordarshan inability to telecast football World Cup

first_imgGolden PumpkinIt took a public protest at Kochi Doordarshan Kendra for officials to become worried about their inability to telecast the ongoing football World Cup. Having lost out in the bidding to Abdul Rehman Bukhatir’s fledgling satellite channel, TEN Sports (which reportedly paid Rs 20 crore for the event), DD,Golden PumpkinIt took a public protest at Kochi Doordarshan Kendra for officials to become worried about their inability to telecast the ongoing football World Cup.Having lost out in the bidding to Abdul Rehman Bukhatir’s fledgling satellite channel, TEN Sports (which reportedly paid Rs 20 crore for the event), DD showed little urgency in damage control, perhaps convinced that football was a passion indulged in only by beer-drinking louts and yobs with painted faces.Not true, says DD Director-General S.Y. Quraishi. “We don’t have Bukhatir’s deep pockets. We did bid for the rights but couldn’t afford them.”They tried, he says, but TEN Sports continued to play “hide and seek” with them until B4U finally offered them the terrestrial rights-a peculiar move given B4U is a satellite channel. DD has now signed a deal with B4U, which will pay Rs 50,000 per half-hour for daily highlights of 60 matches between 11 p.m. and 12 p.m. B4U will market the event and DD will save face, somewhat.DD will show the opening and closing ceremonies in full as well as the semi-finals on National Network. But don’t pop the bubbly yet: even these matches will not be shown live.”I’m not happy,” says Quraishi. “In 1998, I sat up to watch all the matches on DD till 3 a.m. every day.” Fancy that.last_img read more

10 months agoDONE DEAL: Watford defender Andrew Eleftheriou joins Braintree Town

first_imgDONE DEAL: Watford defender Andrew Eleftheriou joins Braintree Townby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford defender Andrew Eleftheriou has moved to Braintree Town on-loan to the end of the season.The 21-year-old defender follows goalkeeper Sam Howes, who moved to Eastbourne Borough, and has made the temporary move to the fellow National League side until the end of this season.The full-back made his first-team debut against Manchester City at the end of the 2016/17 season.He gained experience overseas earlier this year during a loan stint with Norwegian side Sandefjord. TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

a month agoSturridge pulled out of Trabzonspor clash at last minute

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Sturridge pulled out of Trabzonspor clash at last minuteby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDaniel Sturridge was pulled out of Trabzonspor’s clash with Sivasspor at the last minute.Fanatik says he was expected to start the Sivas match. However, he was withdrawn after complaining of achilles pain.After tests, it was found the former Liverpool striker had edema in the right achilles tendon. Sturridge immediately started treatment after being removed from the squad for the Sivas game.The setback isn’t serious, however, and there’s confidence he’ll be fit for their clash with Besiktas. last_img

Inuk man in Montreal hoping film festivals drop You Tube movie

first_imgTom Fennario APTN National NewsAn Inuk man in Montreal is taking it upon himself to make festivals think twice about screening “Of the North.”It is being screened at acclaimed film festivals including the Museum of Moving Image in New York city where it appeared this weekend.But the documentary, made largely from You Tube videos, has been bombarded with criticism for the way it depicts Inuit [email protected]last_img

Football Brian Hartline retained as Ohio State wide receivers coach

Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorOhio State announced wide receivers coach Brian Hartline would have his interim tag removed and that he would serve as the permanent position coach for the upcoming season. Leading three redshirt senior wide receivers in Parris Campbell, Johnnie Dixon and Terry McLaurin, the Ohio State wide receivers caught 291 passes for 4,211 yards and 43 touchdowns, all program records. This year’s unit became the first in school history to have four receivers with at least 1,000 career receiving yards. “Brian is a terrific young coach and mentor to our players and I am thrilled he is on our staff permanently now,” offensive coordinator Ryan Day, who takes over as head coach on Jan. 2, said via statement. “His efforts coaching the wide receivers this season are a huge reason we are Big Ten champions and headed to the Rose Bowl.” Hartline replaced former wide receivers coach Zach Smith, who was dismissed from Ohio State on July 23 after allegations of domestic violence had surfaced. Hartline was a quality control assistant with the Buckeyes during the 2017 season. Hartline played for Ohio State from 2005 to 2008, earning four Big Ten championships and reaching the BCS National Championship in 2006 and 2007. He recorded 90 catches for 1,429 yards and 12 touchdowns in his collegiate career. After college, Hartline played seven seasons in the NFL between the Cleveland Browns and the Miami Dolphins. read more

Man arrested after assaulting sheriffs deputy

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsENCINITAS (KUSI) – A man who was hitting red light cameras in Encinitas with a baseball bat Saturday attacked a San Diego County sheriff’s deputy who tried to stop him, authorities said.The incident began at 2:36 p.m. at the intersection of North El Camino Real and Encinitas Boulevard, sheriff’s Sgt. Agustin Rosas said.The sheriff’s department received several reports of a man on a ladder hitting the red light cameras with a baseball bat and a deputy on patrol at the time saw the suspect hitting the camera, Rosas said.The deputy ordered the man to stop and drop the baseball bat and the suspect refused, the sergeant said.“The deputy attempted to incapacitate the suspect with his department- issued Taser Conducted Energy Device but it malfunctioned,” Rosas said.The suspect then swung the bat at the deputy several times and the deputy hit the suspect with his baton, he said.After a short foot pursuit, the suspect attacked the deputy and a fight ensued, Rosas said. Other deputies were able to handcuff the suspect and he was taken to Scripps La Jolla for treatment before he was booked into the Vista Detention Facility, he said. The deputy suffered multiple fractures and was taken to Scripps Encinitas for treatment.The suspect, identified as Frederick Gramcko, 53, was booked into the Vista Detention Facility on suspicion of attempted murder of a police officer, Rosas said. Man arrested after assaulting sheriff’s deputy KUSI Newsroom, December 16, 2018 Updated: 7:35 AMcenter_img KUSI Newsroom Posted: December 16, 2018 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Week In Review 211215

center_img Wednesday 2/13Audio PlayerJennifer-Wednesday-0213.mp3VmJennifer-Wednesday-0213.mp300:00RPdGovernor Dunleavy Says This Is The Year To Fix The Budget, State Announces Major Closures At Wildwood Correctional Complex, KPBSD Hiring Superintendent Of Schools Tuesday 2/12Audio PlayerJennifer-Tuesday-0212.mp3VmJennifer-Tuesday-0212.mp300:00RPdFebruary 28 “Current Target Date” For AK LNG Draft, Cities Work To Make Sense Of New Online Sales Tax, First Lady Opens Nominations For Volunteer Of The Yearlast_img