Experts slam agriculture reform program, warn of shortage amid pandemic

first_imgThe government data presented by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on April 28 showed that over 20 provinces faced shortages of staple food, such as garlic, sugar, chili and eggs.Read also: Virus, climate change cause food shortages in parts of IndonesiaAgrarian Reform Consortium (KPA) secretary-general Dewi Kartika said the government’s botched agrarian reform program was to blame for the shortages as a vast plots of farmland were constantly being encroached by mining concessions and corporate plantations.“According to the National Land Agency’s data, our farmland shrank by 650,000 hectares in 2018. Many were converted to be used by other business sectors such as palm oil, natural resources extraction and infrastructure,” she said. Agrarian reform is among the National Priority Programs pushed by Jokowi’s first-term administration in an effort to better distribute development and improve the people’s life quality.It includes programs that are expected to alleviate poverty in villages, improve the country’s food security and land production, acknowledge ownership rights over plots of land owned by individuals, the state and the general public, including land utilization for the people’s interest.Dewi also slammed the government’s plan to clear 600,000 ha of peatland in Central Kalimantan to produce buffer stocks amid the shortage, as a similar measure under former president Soeharto on 1 million ha of peatland resulted in crop failure and subsequent starvation.Read also: Rice stock in check despite low production, high demandWe tried that approach during the Soeharto era, which ended with catastrophic failures. In addition, the program also created unprecedented ecological damages,” she said.According to a report released in April by the Global Network Against Food Crises, a humanitarian organization initiated by the World Food Program (WFP), a total of 135 million people lived with acute hunger at the end of 2019. The number was likely to jump to 265 million as countries enforcing quarantines amid the pandemic, the report said.As Indonesia relies on imports, market protectionism, especially during COVID-19 outbreak, could prompt other countries to halt their food exports. Such a policy could cause food shortages in countries that relied on the exports to fulfill their needs, said agriculture expert Sofyan Sjaf.“The [WFP] has warned that millions of people could face food shortages as agriculture production yields drop due to the pandemic,” he said during the same discussion. “We saw Vietnam take a precautionary step to prevent a potential shortage by clamping down on exports.”Read also: Lawmakers, farmers object to provision on food imports in omnibus bill on job creationSofyan also urged the government to curb the COVID-19 outbreak in rural areas to prevent a decrease in food production, as the majority of farmers are vulnerable to the disease.More than 22,000 people have contracted COVID-19, with the death toll reaching at least 1,300 as of Sunday afternoon.“Around 61 percent of our farmers are over 45 years old. We should increase our testing in rural regions and should not relax large-scale social restrictions [PSBB] when the infection rate is still high,” he said.Topics : Agriculture experts have criticized the government’s agrarian reform program a lack of progress that led to low production yield and mounting food imports, pointing to possible food shortages if the COVID-19 pandemic continues.University of Indonesia (UI) senior economist Faisal Basri has voiced his concerns over the increasing number of food imports over the years, saying that the government had been overly reliant on imports to cover the shortcomings of Indonesia’s agriculture industry.“Last year we imported US$830 million worth of meat, $1.5 billion worth of fruits and $770 million worth of vegetables. Most of our imports also came from China, on which we become overly reliant,” he said during a virtual public discussion on Friday.last_img read more

Eagles know World Cup qualifiers foes January

first_imgRelatedPosts No directive to constitute disciplinary committee against us — Ojudu, others ‘Army Officer’ in EFCC net for alleged multiple fraud COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Nigeria’s Super Eagles will know their group stage foes for the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying series next month.The Super Eagles have featured in each of the last three World Cup tournaments and will be bidding to make it four in a row for the first time ever and seventh overall in Qatar in 2022.Nigeria will be joining 39 other African countries in the second round (group stage) draws, which has been scheduled for the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Cairo, Egypt on January 21, 2020.The second round of the qualifiers will kick off in March 2020 and will conclude in October 2021. Group winners will advance to the third round, which is scheduled for November 2021.The 10 group winners from Round 2 will be paired up for knockout matches, with the five winners securing a berth at Qatar 2022, a format reminiscent of the 2014 World Cup qualifying race which saw Nigeria defeating Ethiopia en route to qualification.The FIFA World Cup 2022 will be played in Qatar between November 21, and December 18, 2022.last_img read more

SPONSORED BY XPRESSBET, SANTA ANITA’S $5,000 ONLINE ‘SHOWVIVOR’ TO RETURN DEC. 26; POPULAR HANDICAPPING CONTEST FEATURES $2,500 TOP PRIZE & REQUIRES PLAYERS TO TAB ONE IN THE MONEY RUNNER PER DAY

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Dec. 15, 2016)–Santa Anita’s popular free online “Showvivor” will once again be available to fans via santaanita.com/showvivor beginning opening day, Monday, Dec. 26. The contest offers $5,000 in prize money, highlighted by a $2,500 top prize–to be awarded to the longest “show streak” over the course of Santa Anita’s Winter Meeting, which will conclude April 9.Showvivor participants are required to select one horse from one race per racing day, and that horse must run no worse than third in order for the player to “Showvive.” If the player’s selection fails to finish 1-2-3, that individual is not totally eliminated, as he or she may start up a new streak the next racing day. The player with the longest “show streak” on April 9 will be declared the top prize winner of $2,500. A second “Showvivor” contest will begin on Friday, April 14.The longest “show streak” is one of just five separate ways to win beginning Dec. 26:SHOW STREAK The player that has the longest “show” or no-worse than third-place finish streak at the end of the Spring Meet will win the Grand Prize of $2,500. Players are advised to note that if they fail to make an online selection on a given day, their streak is still alive but they will not receive credit for days missed.WIN STREAK This carries a $1,000 prize and is intended to reward players who have selected the most consecutive first-place finishers. If a player fails to make a selection on a given day, his or her streak may continue, but the player will not receive credit for any days missed.TOTAL WINS At the end of the Spring Meeting, the player with the most total wins will receive a $500 prize.TOTAL PLACES This also carries a prize of $500 and rewards the player that selects the most total places or second-place finishes.LARGEST SINGLE WIN PAYOUT At the end of the Spring Meet, the player who has selected the highest single day win payout will be paid $500.Players are encouraged to sign up as early as possible at santaanita.com/showvivor, although registration will be available after Dec. 26. Daily online selections must be made no later than 10 minutes until first race post time. Please note, special early first post time on opening day, Dec. 26, is at 12 noon.                For additional details, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE.last_img read more

LISTEN: Jagielka responds to rumours he could leave Everton for Sheffield United

first_imgPhil Jagielka has dismissed speculation he could re-join Sheffield United this summer.The veteran Everton defender has been linked with a shock move back to Bramall Lane, where he started his professional career.But Jagielka is not expecting to end his ten-year stay at Goodison Park.Asked if there is anything in the Blades rumours, he told Hawksbee and Jacobs on talkSPORT: “If there was, obviously I wouldn’t be coming on the radio and discussing it!“I’ve heard the rumours myself – had some texts – but as of yet there’s nothing in that.“The main goal is to get back to pre-season as fit as I possibly can and go from there.”The 34-year-old also discussed Everton’s transfer business this summer, his preparations for the new campaign and his involvement in a Ryder Cup-style golf tournament. Listen to the interview in full above.last_img read more

Raiders’ Crosby hit with more than $52,000 in fines

first_imgOAKLAND — Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby was again the subject of NFL discipline Saturday, incurring two fines for a total of $52,462 for separate offenses in a 27-24 loss to the Houston Texans.Crosby, according to a league source, was fined $10,427 for unnecessary roughness and then $42,115 for a hit on Deshaun Watson. Both fines are pending appeal.It was the second time this season Crosby was fined for a hit on the quarterback. He received a $21,056 fine for a hit on Patrick Mahomes …last_img

Why Your Truth Is Different

first_imgThe circumstances of your birth are something far more than simply challenging. Not only were you not born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you were born without a spoon. The circumstances of your birth are holding you back; that’s what is keeping you from succeeding.But if this is true for you, why isn’t it true everyone whose circumstances of birth were very much like your own?You didn’t get a good education. You didn’t do all that well in high school. You spent two semesters at the community college before you ran out of money. The only way you can succeed is to have a college degree, and you don’t have one. Therefore, you cannot succeed.If this is true for you, why is it not universally true? Why are there so many exceptions?The one thing holding you back is your manager. If it wasn’t for your boss and how difficult he makes your job, you’d be succeeding wildly. He is what’s holding you back. He is a governor of your success.Why, then, are other people in your role succeeding when they share the same manager? Why is what is true for you not true for them?No one can succeed in this economic environment. The conditions are too tough. There are too many government regulations. There is too much competition. Your prospective customers are unreasonable, and no one can please them.This is true for you. Why is it untrue for others? Why are they succeeding in the very same economic environment you believe to be impossible?You could never write your novel, record your songs, or paint the pictures you see in your mind’s eye. There is no way you could start your own business or side hustle right now, with work and kids and other responsibilities. You don’t have the time.How is it that other people are able to do these things with all of the same responsibilities that you have or more? Why is it what’s true for you not also true for them?What you believe to be true for you is only true for you because you believe it to be so. As soon as you believe that something new is true for you, what you used to believe will no longer be true. Well, it won’t be true for you anyway. Essential Reading! Get my first book: The Only Sale Guide You’ll Ever Need “The USA Today bestseller by the star sales speaker and author of The Sales Blog that reveals how all salespeople can attain huge sales success through strategies backed by extensive research and experience.” Buy Nowlast_img read more

Chennai Super Kings will look to retain players, support staff: Official

first_imgThe ban on Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals is over officially and a top CSK official said the franchise will look to retain as many players and support staff it had in 2015.”Super Morning, Lions! The wait is finally over. Time to rise and shine! #CSKReturns #whistlepodu,” the franchise said on its Twitter handle (@ChennaiIPL).According to George John, one of the directors of Chennai Super Kings Cricket Limited, which runs the team, “the ban is officially over. It is good that we are back. As far as possible we will try to retain the players and support staff we had.”About the teams marquee player M S Dhoni, who led CSK since the inception of IPL in 2008,” John told PTI, “we have to see what the BCCI has to offer. If there is an option of retaining of a player, it would be him (Dhoni.)””We havent spoken to Dhoni yet as his contract with Pune ends later this year. However, we will speak to him as and when we make our plans for the next season,” he added. Former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming was head coach, while Andy Bichel (bowling coach) and Steve Rixon (fielding coach) were part of the support staff when team was banned in 2015.”In an effort to engage with fans, the CSK management started their promotional campaign from today with a couple of social media activities aimed at evoking memories of MS Dhoni & Co in the colours of CSK over the past decade,” John said.advertisementCSK and Royals were suspended for two years in July 2015 when they were found guilty in 2013 of betting and spot- fixing. Meanwhile, the franchises fans are celebrating the much-awaited return and super fan H Saravanan, who is famous for his body painting and wig, is getting to ready to “roar again for Lions in its den.””World over, fans have been waiting for the return of CSK. It is a big moment for us. We are already looking forward to IPL in 2018. I dont know to celebrate this,” he said.”I cant wait to see Thala (as Dhoni is referred to by the fans) back in yellow at the M A Chidambaram stadium. I wish the team management can bring back all the players who turned out for CSK,” he said, adding there were plans to organise mass feeding at some orphanages and blood donation camps in the days to come.last_img read more

a month agoSturridge pulled out of Trabzonspor clash at last minute

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Sturridge pulled out of Trabzonspor clash at last minuteby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDaniel Sturridge was pulled out of Trabzonspor’s clash with Sivasspor at the last minute.Fanatik says he was expected to start the Sivas match. However, he was withdrawn after complaining of achilles pain.After tests, it was found the former Liverpool striker had edema in the right achilles tendon. Sturridge immediately started treatment after being removed from the squad for the Sivas game.The setback isn’t serious, however, and there’s confidence he’ll be fit for their clash with Besiktas. last_img

a month agoLazio boss Simone Inzaghi: We controlled Inter Milan

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi: We controlled Inter Milanby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLazio boss Simone Inzaghi insists they didn’t deserve defeat to Inter Milan on Wednesday night.Danilo D’Ambrosio’s header proved the winner, with Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic outstanding.“We did well in the first half and the only thing we really got wrong was not scoring one of our many chances,” Inzaghi told Sky Sport Italia.“I don’t remember Thomas Strakosha making any saves in the first half and we had three or four big scoring opportunities. There are regrets, because not everyone comes to San Siro and controls the play like this.“Naturally, in the final 20 minutes we got a bit stretched out and allowed some Inter counter-attacks. We should’ve been more determined in front of goal, but I cannot complain about the overall approach.“We are on the right path and emerge with heads held high, albeit with zero points. We’re talking about Inter, they are top of the table and won every game so far, but in terms of performance and quality of football, Lazio did better this evening.” last_img read more

18 days agoChelsea winger Hudson-Odoi: This is where I belong

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea winger Hudson-Odoi: This is where I belongby Freddie Taylor18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveCallum Hudson-Odoi says he made the right decision staying with Chelsea.The 18-year-old penned a five-year contract recently after previously trying to force through a move to Bayern Munich.”The club have done so much for me and I’m so thankful for that,” he told BBC Sport.”The decision that I made was a very good one for me and my family. We all thought that it was the right club to be at.”I’ve been here all my life, so there’s no need to change yet. My mum and dad are happy where they are and I’m happy where I am.” last_img