Man Utd manager Solskjaer slams AZ Alkmaar pitch: Worst I’ve ever seenby Freddie Taylor23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has plenty of concerns about AZ Alkmaar’s pitch ahead of their Europa League group stage clash on Thursday night.United will face the Dutch side at Cars Jeans Stadion in The Hague, a temporary ground after a section of AZ’s stadium roof collapsed. The new stadium has an artificial pitch, and Solskjaer says it’s one of the worst he has ever seen.”I’m surprised they’ve chosen to play on this pitch when I’ve looked at it,” Solskjaer said. “I’m used to it from Norway. It’s not the best I’ve seen.”It’s one of the worst ones I’ve seen for a long while. We’ve al got standards back home in Norway anyway. It’s safe, I’m not saying it’s not. It’s not the newest.”It’s just on the floor so on the carpet more or less, so when you pull the grass up you do that loads, there’s more bounce.”It seems like it’s been used a lot but with my knees I’ve not enjoyed astro turf anyway.”I’m surprised that in this climate you have to use astro turf. It’s OK when you live in the North Pole like we more or less do in Norway and can’t play in March, November or December. But here, I’m surprised.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
A Service Excellence Policy, developed by the Government to improve quality service delivery to citizens, will be submitted to Cabinet shortly for approval. Story Highlights A Service Excellence Policy, developed by the Government to improve quality service delivery to citizens, will be submitted to Cabinet shortly for approval.This is according to Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, who said the policy was developed following extensive consultations last year.“This will form part of the Government’s thrust to transform and modernise the operations of the public sector, as rationalising services will be even more critical in the future,” he said.The Governor-General was delivering the 2019/2020 Throne Speech during the State Opening of Parliament on Thursday (February 14).He noted that the modernisation exercise will be done through shared services, mergers and divestments, which will result in the achievement of a smaller, focused, more efficient and coherent grouping of public bodies.In keeping with the thrust for improved public-sector operations, the Governor-General noted that the Cabinet Office has continued to strengthen results-based management across government ministries and selected departments and agencies in the areas of strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, and performance reporting.Meanwhile, the Governor-General informed that a comprehensive public procurement training certification programme was undertaken last year as part of efforts to address inefficiencies in the procurement process across government.A total of 1,115 public-sector procurement practitioners were trained under the programme.The Throne Speech was delivered under the theme ‘In Partnership towards the new Prosperous Jamaica’. This is according to Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, who said the policy was developed following extensive consultations last year. “This will form part of the Government’s thrust to transform and modernise the operations of the public sector, as rationalising services will be even more critical in the future,” he said.
APTN National NewsNunavut’s territorial election is set for October 28th 2013.Most of the candidates are standing for local concerns.However, one issue is showing up in almost every region of the territory.APTN’s Kent Driscoll has the story from Iqualuit.
Quebecor Inc.’s CEO blamed the failure of the Montreal Canadiens to make the playoffs for a major hit to its media ad revenues, a “disappointing” dent in a quarter that nonetheless saw the company skate to $1.04 billion in overall revenue.The Montreal-based communications giant’s second-quarter revenue edged up 0.50 per cent from the same time last year, largely due to growth at its telecommunications arm as revenue at its media arm fell six per cent.“The results of our media operations were heavily impacted by TVA Sports, which…suffered from the absence of the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL playoffs,” Pierre Karl Peladeau said on a conference call with investors Thursday.Revenue from the sports and entertainment division was relatively unchanged at $36.9 million.With playoffs spanning the bulk of the quarter, advertising revenue from the TVA Sports specialty channel plunged 36 per cent from the year-earlier period, when the 101-year-old team made the first playoff round, said TVA Group president and CEO France Lauziere.Growth at Quebecor’s Videotron cable, internet and wireless business boosted revenue from telecommunications to $847.2 million, up from $826.6 million last year.Quebecor had $41.3 million of net income attributable to shareholders in the second quarter, amounting to 18 cents per share.That was down from $137.8 million or 57 cents per share in the second quarter of 2017, when Quebecor’s profit was boosted by a gain from the sale of a spectrum licence.Adjusted income from continuing operating activities, which excludes the spectrum sale and other items, was $106.2 million or 45 cents per share, up from $88.6 million or 37 cents per share the year prior.Peladeau said the company achieved a major milestone in the second quarter when it became 100-per-cent owner of Quebecor Media, after buying out its strategic partner — the Caisse de depot.“With access to all the cash flows generated by the subsidiary, the corporation will now be better equipped to seize business opportunities as they arise, to achieve its objectives with respect to its dividend payment policy, and to take full control of its development projects,” Peladeau said Thursday in a statement.Strong telecommunications sales yielded revenues that slightly exceeded analyst expectations in a “seasonally weaker quarter,” said RBC Dominion Securities Inc. analyst Drew McReynolds.Roughly 32,000 net new wireless subscribers outweighed a drop in television subscriptions — a decrease typical of the lead-up to Quebec’s traditional moving season, which sees most leases expire July 1, said Videotron president and CEO Manon Brouillette.Quebecor’s stock price jumped more than five per cent Thursday, ending the trading session at $28.40, its highest closing price in at least ten years.Peladeau said in a Facebook post earlier this week that Quebecor’s ability to do business with the Quebec government was jeopardized because he had pleaded guilty on July 10 to violating the province’s election act by personally reimbursing a $137,000 debt accumulated by his campaign to become leader of the Parti Quebecois.He said the province’s treasury board and premier have the power to declare an exception to the act’s automatic penalties and a Quebecor statement on Tuesday said it was confident that the matter “will be settled in the near future without restricting the corporation’s activities or its public sector clients.”Companies in this story: (TSX:QBR.B)
Both companies say the decision by five partners _ a consortium of state-owned and private investors _ to move forward with LNG Canada’s $40-billion joint venture in Kitimat, B.C., bodes well for major resource projects in the country.But energy consultant Tom Adams says the British Columbia development makes the prospects of a Nova Scotia LNG facility in the near future less likely.He says there is a finite global market for LNG, and that if the B.C. project moves ahead it weakens other projects.“Every time there is a new entrant it puts competitive pressure on all the other proposals,” the independent Toronto-based analyst said.Adams says the “really big boys” have invested in B.C. _ Royal Dutch Shell, Mitsubishi Corp., the Malaysian-owned Petronas, PetroChina Co. and Korean Gas Corp. _ but the Nova Scotia proposals have yet to attract the same calibre of investors.“The majors have by and large stayed out of it, and I think that’s another indication of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the development plans,” he said. “It’s another reason for my continued skepticism with respect to LNG in Nova Scotia.” However, Goldboro LNG has managed to secure a customer.Uniper SE, a German energy firm, has signed a 20-year off-take agreement for half of Goldboro’s permitted output, a coup for the Nova Scotia project. The contract comes with a German government-backed debt guarantee.Mark Brown, vice-president, business development for Pieridae Energy, the firm developing Goldboro LNG, says the B.C. project is good for the entire industry.“Given the global nature of the industry, it sends a positive message to the world that Canada is back,” he said in an email, noting that the Goldboro project is aiming for a final investment decision in the first quarter of 2019. HALIFAX, N.S. – Some see it as a signal of investor confidence in liquefied natural gas megaprojects. Others say it could edge out less competitive LNG proposals in Canada.Either way, final approval of a massive LNG project in northern British Columbia has renewed interest in the fate of two projects slated for Canada’s East Coast.Bear Head LNG, a subsidiary of Australia-based Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd., has a site on the Strait of Canso while Goldboro LNG, a Pieridae Energy Canada project, is adjacent to the Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline on Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore. Meanwhile, Micah Hirschfield with LNG Ltd., the proponent of Bear Head LNG, says the Kitimat investment increases the viability of exporting Canada’s stranded natural gas resource from both the West Coast to Asia and the East Coast to Europe.“The amount of gas being used by LNG Canada barely scratches the surface of the more than 300 years of stranded gas supply that the resource has,” he said in an email.“Both Western Canadian producers and European customers recognize the importance of being able to export Canadian gas from both coasts and we continue to progress and remain committed to bringing LNG from Bear Head to the global energy market.”(THE CANADIAN PRESS)
New Delhi: Excessive consumption of protein can have unwanted side effects on the kidney.Since kidney disease often goes undiagnosed, one should not take additional protein supplements without proper consultation. But many skip this, which leads to chronic kidney disease,” Dr RK Yadav, Assitant Professor, Nephrology, All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS). Nephrologists warn that high doses of protein powder over a long period of time causes stress on kidneys. Also Read – Gurdwara Bangla Sahib bans single use plastic”An excessively increased amount of protein intake causes the organ to work harder to compensate. Overuse of protein powders can lead to developing kidney stones and kidney failure,” Dr Jugal Kishore, Director and Professor head, community medicine, Safdarjung Hospital said. “Most of the gym instructor are spreading the wrong information to young gym goer, while suggesting the high dose of protein ignoring the aftermath. They also instruct the participant to intake less water and simultaneously pushing high dose of protein to increase the muscle mass which lead to heavy toll upon the kidney. Basically kidney needs water to function their role,” Dr Kishore added. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderMany youngster are suffering from hypertension, using pain killer and also going to gym on supplement dose are more prone to develop the kidney ailment, Dr Yadav added. “We need awareness among our youngster as they easy prey to renal disorder. Every OPD session, we notice atleast a teen age patients are suffer of protein aftermath, Dr Yadav highlighted. “Many young men take protein supplements like protein shakes, protein pills, anabolic steroids as it gives them biceps, six packs in a short duration. This gradually leads to kidney failure, many do not realise. He added, “Kidney disease hardly shows any symptoms until it has progressed to such an extent that dialysis remains the only option,” Dr Yadav said. Dr Yadav further informed that anybody with diabetes, hypertension and obesity as well as smokers and those above 50 years and with a family history of such diseases are at risk of kidney disease. Those who frequently urinate in the night, have joint disorders or swelling in the feet and face should also get screened once in six months. “Any person with the kidney ailment, does not mean the end of the world. We have treatment available which can give them the new hope,” he added.
Junior Sean Melton competes during the 2015 P&G Championships. Courtesy of OSU athletics“If you don’t want it, it’s not going to happen.”This mantra is what junior gymnast Sean Melton lives by. He said it applies to both his team play with the Ohio State Men’s gymnastics team and his personal endeavors to go for gold in Rio.Melton travelled to St. Louis this weekend for the first step in accomplishing his Olympic dream, to participate in the U.S. Olympic Trials. 18 participants were vying for the coveted spot to represent Team USA and to hopefully earn gold at the 2016 Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro.With only five gymnasts named to the U.S. Olympic team, Melton’s quest for Rio came to an end Sunday when he finished 12th. Melton was disappointed about his finish.“Trials didn’t go as well as planned,” Melton said. “I wasn’t able to do all-around either day because I was battling with some shoulder problems throughout the year. It kind of just acted up at the wrong time.”Even with battling shoulder injuries, Melton managed to finish ninth in rings and tenth in floor exercise.He feels an Olympic berth is not far away.“I’m definitely headed in the right direction,” Melton said. “It comes between a couple of tenths to who makes the Olympic team and who doesn’t. I just need to get better on everything.”His accolades as a member of OSU’s gymnastics team is what got him to participate in the Trials. A six time All-American and five time Big Ten champion, Melton won 2016 Big Ten Gymnast of the Year. The 2015 team captain also led his team to a third place finish at the NCAA Championship in April.Looking back at his accomplishments this year, Melton said he feels like he has improved immensely.“I became more of a professional in the sport,” Melton said. “I really just dedicated my life to the sport because I know that is what it takes to get to this level and to make the Olympic team.”That same dedication is what fuels his leadership ability. Melton made an extra effort to become a more established leader for his college teammates.“I stopped talking as much and started doing what I thought was right,” Melton said. “They see me having success and they want success also. It made me train harder in the gym just knowing I’m doing it for 20 other guys and not just myself. It really just made me better in all aspects of the sport.”The team is Melton’s next focus after falling short of Rio.“I’m going right back to Columbus,” Melton said. “First, I’m going to get fully healthy again. Then I’m right back to training. Start preseason for college and get ready for the NCAA season.”As for his Olympic dreams, they are still alive and well. Melton now knows exactly what he needs to do to make that leap to Olympic glory.“I know I want it just as bad as everyone else if not more because now I have a taste of it and didn’t get it,” Melton said. “It’s definitely a huge learning process. I just need to take my gymnastics to another level now.”
Sophomore right-handed pitcher Travis Lakins (1) delivers a pitch against Illinois on May 2, 2015. OSU lost, 6-5.Credit: Elliot Gilfix / For The LanternWhile the No. 25 Ohio State baseball team is enjoying its best season in several years, a weekend visit from the No. 7 Illinois Fighting Illini stood as a harsh reminder of who the class of the Big Ten is.Illinois (40-6-1, 16-1) won its 19th, 20th and 21st consecutive games with a weekend sweep of the Buckeyes (31-13, 12-6) at Bill Davis Stadium.OSU, looking to salvage the series with a win on Sunday, knocked in a run in each of the first two innings to grab an early 2-0 lead. However, that would be all they would muster off of one of the nation’s top pitching staffs.The Buckeyes were shut out by the Illini the rest of the way, and Illinois scored one in the third and two in the fourth to grab a 3-2 lead. It would remain that way until the top of the sixth, when Illinois blew it open with a three-run inning.A throwing error by OSU senior left-hander Ryan Riga put Illinois up by two runs, and a two-run single made it 6-2, which stood as the final score.Riga, who came into the game second on OSU’s staff in earned-run average, was hit hard to the tune of six runs, nine hits and three walks in six innings. He dropped to 5-3 on the year with the loss.Saturday’s contest was a back-and-forth affair in which the Buckeyes came up just a little short.OSU, just as they would the following afternoon, jumped out to a 2-0 lead after two innings, scoring a run in each of the first two frames. The score remained that way until the fifth inning, when Illinois took advantage of two OSU errors to grab a 3-2 lead.The Buckeyes would answer immediately, as just two batters into the bottom of the frame, the game was tied.Sophomore outfielder Troy Montgomery scored freshman outfielder Tre’ Gantt from first with a double. Montgomery then came in on a two-out RBI single by sophomore outfielder Ronnie Dawson to put the Buckeyes back ahead.Just like the Illini lead, however, that would prove to be short-lived.A three-run top of the sixth put Illinois up 6-4 and chased OSU sophomore right-handed pitcher Travis Lakins from the game.While the Buckeyes would add a run in the bottom of the seventh to make it a one-run game, they ran into the nearly impenetrable force that is Illinois preseason second-team All-American, junior left-hander Tyler Jay.Jay, who is second in the nation with a 0.73 ERA, worked 2.1 innings, allowing just one hit for his ninth save of the season to preserve the 6-5 victory.Unfortunately for the Buckeyes, the man who is just a tick behind Jay at third in the nation in ERA also resides in Champaign.Junior left-hander Kevin Duchene actually raised his 0.74 season ERA with an eight-inning, three-hit, one-run domination of OSU in Friday night’s series opener.The Buckeyes fell behind 4-0 after two innings, as OSU sophomore left-hander Tanner Tully was ineffective against the Illinois bats.Tully, the 2014 Big Ten Freshman of the Year, surrendered eight earned runs in five innings.The Illini outhit OSU 13-4 and featured four hitters with multi-hit performances.OSU’s bullpen was a highlight of the weekend for the home team, as five Buckeye relievers combined for 10.2 shutout innings in the three games, allowing just six hits.Over 2,000 fans were in attendance at Bill Davis Stadium for each of the three weekend contests, OSU’s three largest home crowds of the season.The Buckeyes will look to get back on the winning side with a pair of nonconference in-state matchups. They are set to travel to Oxford, Ohio, to take on Miami (Ohio) on Tuesday before heading south to Cincinnati to take on the Bearcats the following night. Both games are scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m.